University of Richmond – Weinstein Hall
The Center for Social Sciences is the first Master Plan project to be implemented by the University of Richmond. An addition to the existing 1951 Political Science Building, it represents an opportunity to consolidate four departments, thereby fostering inter-disciplinary learning as envisioned by the University’s Strategic Plan. By framing an outdoor garden with new classroom and office wings, and creating an open-air passage on axis with a statue of the University’s primary benefactor, the addition promises to shape and inform academic life on the Stern Quadrangle. The building’s form and detailing investigate and recall the Collegiate Gothic vision of the University’s original author, Ralph Adams Cram.